Can you bake in a microwave oven? If you are trying to bake something in the microwave oven and do not exactly know if it is possible, chances are you ask the same question. If so, then you are in the right place. In this post, I will share with you some ideas about baking with a microwave oven.
So, can you bake in a microwave oven? Yes, you can bake in a microwave. This might be against conventional wisdom. But the truth is there are many foods you can bake in the microwave. I have listed below some of the recipes that can be baked in the microwave.
Most people and this may include you, believe that baking is generally done in the oven. I also believe in that same principle until I know people who do bake many recipes in the microwave.
Then I tried it myself and it is true. You can actually use your microwave to bake your favorite recipes. Below are some of the foods that you can bake in the microwave.
Foods that Can Be Baked in the Microwave
As promised, I will share with you the foods that you can bake in the microwave. You might want to try some of these and see the result for yourself.
1. Clementine Bars
The first thing on the list is clementine bars. These are some of the delicious and enjoyable deserts you can have at home.
Most people think that you can only bake clementine bars in the oven. Few have known that you can also do it in the microwave.
Here’s how to bake clementine bars in microwave:
1. Put butter in the microwave safe baking dish.
2. Mix all the ingredients in the medium-sized bowl. Make sure that all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
3. Pour the mixture onto the microwave safe baking dish.
4. In a mixer’s bowl, mix the clementine juice, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and lemon juice.
5. Pour it on top of the mixture in the microwave safe and put it in the microwave for about 10-12 minutes. Just make sure that the microwave is on the medium-high power or about 70%.
6. After it is completely cool, garnish it with powdered sugar.
7. Cut it into squares and serve.
2. Potato Chips
Potato chips are another great snack you can bake in the microwave. Usually, I make potato chips by frying them. But cooking it in the microwave is simpler.
Here’s how to bake potato chips in microwave:
1. Slice the potato thinly about 1/8 to 1/16-inch thick. Then put them in the cold water.
2. Rinse the slices until the water gets clear. If you can soak them for a few more minutes before rinsing them.
3. Let the slices to dry. You can place them in between the dish clothes to dry them faster.
4. Lay the slices on the plate in a single layer. Do not pile them on top of one another. Sprinkle them with salt. You can add other spices too if you want. I love to brush them with olive oil first before sprinkling salt. This is to give them extra excellent flavor.
5. Microwave the slices at 100% power for about 3 minutes. To cook them evenly, flip them over at 50% power for another 2-3 minutes. As you notice that some slices turn crisp and brown, remove them and put them into the bowl. Continue cooking the remaining chips until all become crispy and golden.
3. Caramel Corn
Although microwave is commonly used to pop the corn kernels, it is not always considered as the viable technique to bake the caramel corn.
Here’s how to bake caramel corn in microwave:
1. Pop the popcorn kernels and put them in a large bowl.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, put the brown sugar, Karo syrup, salt, and butter. Make sure that the bowl is large enough for all the ingredients to be mixed later.
3. Microwave for about 45 seconds or until the butter melted.
4. Microwave for another 1 minute and 30 seconds and stir.
5. Add baking soda and vanilla extract. Stir until the fizzing and bubbling stop.
6. Pour the mixture over the popcorn and until everything is coated. Let it cool and serve.
4. Homemade Lasagna
If you are making your own homemade lasagna, then you can try this technique. This is super simple and quick. You can also do this for a bought frozen lasagna.
Here’s how to bake lasagna in microwave:
1. Microwave beef in a microwave-safe dish on high for about 3 minutes then stir. Cook for another 2 minutes and drain it well. Put the spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, and basil. Cover it and microwave for a couple of minutes or until completely heated. Set it aside.
2. In a bowl, mix the parsley, egg, pepper, and cottage cheese.
3. Get the microwave-safe dish and grease it with ½ cup of meat sauce. Put three layers of noodles with half mixture of cottage cheese, half of the remaining meat sauce, and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
4. Layer the remaining noodles, then the remaining cottage meat sauce and cottage cheese. Then pour water on the short edges of the dish.
5. Cover it with place wrap and microwave on high for about 20 minutes. This should be enough to tenderize the noodles. Rotate the dish after 10 minutes or so.
6. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Put it back into the microwave for another 2 minutes until the cheese melts.
7. Cool it for about 10 minutes, cut and serve.
5. Chocolate Mug Cake
Baking chocolate mug cake in the microwave is probably the quickest of all recipes I mentioned in this post. It only involves a few steps.
Here’s how to bake chocolate mug cake in microwave:
1. Prepare a large microwave-safe mug.
2. Pour the ingredients such as sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and mix flour.
3. Stir in canola oil, water, vanilla extract, and milk.
4. Microwave for about 1 minute and 45 seconds or until the middle is cook through.
6. Chex Mix
The next easy to cook snack recipe is the sweet Chex mix. If you want to have something for your kids during weekends, making a Chex mix can be a good option.
Here’s how to bake Chex mix in microwave:
1. Put cereals in a large microwavable bowl.
2. Microwave butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar on high for about two minutes. Stir it after 1 minute until everything melted.
3. Add baking soda and stir it to mix it thoroughly.
4. Pour the cereal and stir until completely coated.
5. Microwave on high for about 5-6 minutes until the cereal turns golden or brown.
6. Let it cool for about 5 minutes then add candies. Then break into smaller pieces.
7. Fluffernutter Fudge
The next recipe you bake in the microwave is the fluffernutter fudge. With a few steps, you will be able to enjoy this recipe.
Here’s how to bake fluffernutter fudge in microwave:
1. Get ½ stick of butter and microwave it for about 30 seconds.
2. Add powdered sugar and mix.
3. Add peanut butter and marshmallows and microwave for 90 seconds. Stir it regularly every 30 seconds.
4. Pour the mixture let it chill for 30 minutes.
5. Make chocolate toppings. Get ½ stick of butter and microwave for 30 seconds.
6. Add marshmallows and chocolate chips to the butter then microwave for 90 seconds, and stir it every 30 seconds.
7. Pour the mixture on top of the peanut butter mix and let it cool for 30 minutes or so.
8. You can add extra marshmallows on top before cutting. Enjoy!
8. Tomato Chips
Tomato chip is another recipe you can bake in the microwave. It is pretty easy and straightforward to make it.
Here’s how to bake tomato chips in microwave:
1. Slice tomatoes on the cutting board.
2. Sprinkle them with salt on both sides and let them sit for about 15 minutes.
3. Reduce the moisture by patting with paper towel.
4. Prepare a microwavable plate and spray it with cooking oil.
5. Place the sliced tomatoes on the plate and spray them with cooking spray.
6. Microwave them on power level 7 for about 5 minutes.
7. Flip the sliced tomatoes and microwave them for another minute.
8. Remove them from the microwave and let them cool.
There you go you have my eight recipes you can bake in the microwave. You can try some of these recipes and see the result.
There are many other recipes you can bake in the microwave that I did not include in this post. The reason being is that I haven’t tried them yet.
You can search for them online if you want. I will also add them to this post in the future as soon as I tried them.
Using a microwave to bake foods may not be familiar to you. But the truth is there are many people who use a microwave to cook recipes.
Using a microwave to bake foods is a little bit different from using the oven. You need to follow some steps to do it successfully.
The good news is that it is not rocket science. Anyone can follow it. I hope this helps.