Can you reheat meatballs? In this post, I will share with you some important facts about meatballs. If you are looking for an answer to this query, this is for you. I hope this helps.
Meatballs are some of the well-known favorite dishes for most people. But not all know how to keep the leftovers for later use.
Reheating is a process of making food safer to eat. However, not all foods can be reheated. When it comes to the meatball, many ask whether or not it can be reheated.
So, can you reheat meatballs? Yes, you can reheat meatballs in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes. Wait until the inner part of the meatballs reaches 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the recommended temperature for heating foods.
Reheating meatballs in the oven is one way. There are other ways you can reheat them such as on the stove and in the microwave.
But before reheating meatballs, make sure that they are properly stored in the fridge. Do not leave meatball leftovers at room temperature for more than two hours. The bacteria will quickly take over the food.
If you left meatballs for more than two hours at room temperature, discarding them is the best idea. Only reheat them if properly stored in the fridge.
How to Store Leftover Meatballs?
Needless to say that storing leftover meatballs is very important. If done wrong, it can deteriorate the quality of the meatballs and potentially make them unsafe to eat.
That said, before talking about how to reheat leftover meatballs, let me talk about the appropriate storing process.
As mentioned, cooked meatballs should not the left at room temperature to keep them safe from bacterial contamination. The best thing you can do is to immediately place meatballs in the fridge.
Refrigerating leftover meatballs will help lengthen their shelf life. But before placing cooked meatballs, make sure that they are put in an airtight container.
If an airtight container is unavailable, you can wrap them with plastic or aluminum foil before refrigerating. If done right, leftover meatballs can last for about four days.
Lastly, you can also freeze leftover meatballs. In fact, it is a better way of storing cooked meatballs and other foods. Freezing will definitely prolong the shelf life of the food.
Leftover meatballs can remain safe and edible for 3-4 months if stored correctly. The storage strategies will greatly affect the shelf life of the cooked meatballs.
Before you reheat meatballs, check them for possible changes in texture and smell. A slimy texture and sour smell, for instance, may indicate that the meatballs are not safe to eat.
How to Reheat Leftover Meatballs?
As promised, I will talk about how to correctly reheating leftover meatballs. Reheating is a good way to make the food safer to eat. However, doing it wrong could also turn the food inedible.
For instance, overheating can cause meatballs to become super dry and rubbery. You need to achieve balance. Heat meatballs to kill the bacteria but also try to retain the quality of the dish.
There are three common ways to reheat meatballs. You can choose from the following techniques.
1. Reheating Meatballs in the Oven
Reheating meatballs in the oven is probably one of the easiest ways you can do it. This is perfect especially if you are heating them without sauce. The oven will heat the meatballs from the outside in.
The whole process is pretty easy. It only involves a few steps and you’re done.
Steps in reheating meatballs in the oven:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the meatballs on the oven-safe.
3. Place it in the oven and heat it for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Check the temperature of the meatballs after 10 minutes and see if they reached the desired temperature. The recommended internal temperature for a well-heated meatball is 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Give the meatballs a few more minutes in the oven if needed. Otherwise, take them out of the oven and serve.
2. Reheating Meatballs on the Stove
Reheating meatballs on the stove is perfect if the meatballs are with sauce. It works well if you heat the meatballs slowly. Just make sure that you pay close attention to it. The meatballs can be overheated on the stove.
Steps in reheating meatballs on the stove:
1. Make sure that the flame is low. Then place the pot on the stove.
2. Pour the meatballs and the sauce into the pot and cover it.
3. Heat the meatballs for about 20-30 minutes while constantly stirring the meatballs and the sauce together. Do not allow the sauce to boil.
4. If the meatballs reach your desired temperature, you can get the pot out of the stove and serve.
This strategy also works with frozen meatballs. You can reheat frozen meatballs directly without thawing them. Just make some adjustments if needed.
3. Reheating Meatballs in the Microwave
If you are in a hurry, using a microwave to reheat meatballs can be your best option. It is the fastest way you can reheat food of any kind.
However, it is important to remember that the microwave can turn the meatballs into a total mess pretty quickly. This happens if not done properly.
Extra care is needed. The simple solution is to set the low power for instance 70 percent. This will keep the meatballs from overheating.
Steps in reheating meatballs in the microwave:
1. Line the bottom of the microwave-safe with a paper towel. This will prevent the excess liquid from detrimentally affect the meatballs. Then put the meatballs on top of the paper towel.
2. To keep the meatball moist, cover the microwave-safe with a moist cloth.
3. Set the microwave power at medium. 70 percent will do.
4. Reheat the meatballs for about 1 minute until the internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit. Reheat for another 15 seconds if the internal temperature does not reach the recommended temperature.
5. Serve the meatballs.
As you can see, reheating meatballs with a microwave is faster than other reheating techniques. You just need to be careful that you do it right. It is important to remember that microwaves can also turn the meatballs into a total mess if done incorrectly.
If you love meatballs, chances are you tend to cook more for a meal. This may result in leftovers. If it is the case, do not throw your leftovers because you can reheat them later.
Reheating meatballs is easy. You can do it in the oven, stove, or microwave. Just make sure that they are safely stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
If stored correctly, the meatballs can last up to four days in the refrigerator.
For quick guides, you can consider the tips on storing the meatballs mentioned in this post.
Can you reheat meatballs twice?
Yes, you can reheat meatballs twice. I did this before with other dishes too. However, experts do not recommend it. As long you stored meatballs in the fridge properly, you can do it.
How long can you eat leftover meatballs?
You can eat leftover meatballs up to 3-4 days as long as they are properly stored in the fridge. The safest way to store them is by wrapping them with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. This will lengthen the shelf life of the meatballs.